TITLE: School Nurse
STAFF LEVEL: Technical/Specialist
CLASSIFICATION: Part Time, Non-exempt, Ten Month
The school nurse team works together to develop and administer basic medical care for Life Christian Academy (LCA) students and faculty. The team is responsible to deliver training to staff regarding the safe management of medical conditions. The team may be called to assess acute situations until the student, employee, or guest’s care is safely transitioned to a third-party medic.
Essential Functions and Principal Responsibilities:
· Works alongside nurse team members to develop the health service at LCA
· Provide first response care until a student/employee/community member is handed over to Emergency Services
· Contact parents about student ailments/conditions and maintain student medical records such as records of medications issued, and treatments provided
· Obtains appropriate releases for administering medications to students
· Ensures safe storage and administration of medications and documents evidence of the same in accordance with law and policies
· Confirms compliance with mandated student immunization record and contacts parents to rectify anomalies before the start of each school year
· Provide first aid to students, faculty, and guests for injuries and accidents
· Attends to minor illnesses of students and communicates with parents in assessing condition and appropriate next steps
· Adheres to laws and policies pertaining to child abuse and neglect reporting
· Ensure effective communication with peers such as provide hand over notes to the nurse working the following day
Required Education and Experience
· Registered Nurse (RN) minimum
· Current CPR, First Aid and other qualifications necessary to perform the duties of school nurse
· Familiarity with OPSI health requirements for private schools
Preferred Education and Experience
· Training in identifying and reporting child abuse and neglect
Character and Competencies
· Fulfill Character, Competency, Chemistry and Culture requirements as set by Life Center Ministries
· Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly regarding students
· Ability to work on a team
· Detail oriented
· Ability to follow set procedures and practices
· Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
· Understanding of mandated reporter laws and LCA policies regarding the same
This position has no supervisory responsibility
Continued Education and Training
This role must maintain all minimum certifications and may be required to attend relevant trainings as determined by the supervisor, Headmaster, or Human Resources Director.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job the employee frequently is required to talk or hear and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls including excessive keyboarding or typing. The employee is regularly required to sit and stand. The employee is frequently required to climb stairs, and stoop, kneels, crouch, or crawl stand, walk, and reach with hands or arms.
Good health, and good physical condition, appropriate to the position. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision; depth perception, the ability to adjust focus, the ability to read small print.
Routine travel from the worksite is not anticipated for this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job operates in a professional office and school environment. This role routinely interacts with students, staff, parents, and guests (when needed) and utilizes various modes of communication. This role may be exposed to illness, bodily fluids, and bbps.
Schedule: 10am – 2:30pm
Hours: approximately 20 hours/week
Supervisor: High School Principal
Benefits: Paid Leave consistent with labor laws and Employee Handbook of Policies, Practices, and Procedures
Description Updated: 08/2/2019