TITLE: Bus Driver
STAFF LEVEL: Technical
CLASSIFICATION: Part time/10-month/Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Director of Building Operations and Transportation
Bus drivers will safely transport students and/or constituents of Life Center or Life Christian School on assigned routes.
· Fulfill Character, Competency, Chemistry and Culture requirements as set by Life Center Ministries
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Demonstrates a working knowledge of all Microsoft Office Programs, ability to learn relevant platforms and data base
· Ability to handle large numbers of people in possibly chaotic situations
· Ability to maintain focus on driving and safety while maintaining order
· Ability to remain calm in unexpected situations
Essential Functions and Principal Responsibilities:
Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
Report any bus malfunctions or needed repairs to the Building Operations and Transportation office
Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportationsituations
Follow pre-driving check-list to ensure vehicle is in safe working order
Comply with traffic regulations in order to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner
Follow safety rules as passengers are boarding and exiting buses, and as they cross streets near bus stops
Read maps and follow written and verbal geographic directions
Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilation systems for passenger comfort
Escort small children across roads and highways if necessary
Keep bus interiors clean for passengers
Maintain knowledge of first-aid procedures
Follow all vehicle procedures listed in the Handbook of Policies, Practices, and Procedures
Comply with all Life Center documentation policies pertaining to driving, vehicles, and safety
Maintain awareness of and follow all Life Center policies and procedures
Required Education and Experience
· High School diploma or equivalent
· Current driver’s license
· For drivers of large buses, a Class “B” CDL with “S” endorsement
· CDL drivers must have a current medical examination, subject to renewal pursuant state law
· Clear driving record as shown by a driving abstract and approved by the Life Center Director of Building Operations and Transportation
Preferred Education and Experience
· One-year experience driving school route or other relevant experience
This position has no supervisory responsibility
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job the employee frequently is required to talk or hear and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls including excessive keyboarding or typing. The employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to climb stairs, and stoop, kneels, crouch, or crawl stand, walk, and reach with hands or arms.
Good health, and good physical condition, appropriate to the position. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision; depth perception, the ability to adjust focus, the ability to read small print.
Routine travel from the worksite is not anticipated for this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Schedule and Hours:Routes vary, but generally before and after school as well as extracurricular events as needed
Benefits: Will accrue sick leave consistent with the Life Center Handbook of Policies, Practices, and Procedures
Description Updated: 09/10/2019